As many other uses who have iPhone 3G and updated to OS4 noticed that their phone after some time is almost unusable or this. I have installed SBssetings which shows me free RAM and i noticed when RAM is lower 10MB phone doesn’t respond and can’t work properly. (Some memory leak ? not sure)
So I have decided to downgrade to 3.1.3 and it is not as easy as you would thought.
I want my phone to be jailbreaken so you have 2 options:
1. find already customized firmware (search for customized restore firmware)
2. customize firmware yourself 🙂
Everything was ok, except that I got error 1600.
I have solved this issue by setting iPhone NOT in DFU mode but in RECOVERY mode.
From MacOSx 10.5.3 (I guess) and up you can sync your google contacts with your iPhone.
Go to Address Book -> Preferences -> Accounts (tab) -> Synchronize with Google.
Synchronization will happened when you connect your iPhone to your mac and itunes starts backing up your iPhone. It will grab contacts and if there are some conflicts it will let you know.
BTW it works in both ways – now you can just modify your Address Book in mac and changes will occur in iPhone same as in gmail.
Yesterday skype has released skype application for iphone.
We know that there was fring already, anyway you will get all other features like pictures to name, skypeout calls and others.
It is obvious that skype had to agree apple (we all know that it is AT&T) restriction to not be able to make calls over 3G network.
Read more on skype.com site.
Here is list of apps I am using on my iPhone
- jailbrake your iPhone
- cydia – to install new applications
- openssh – to get to the terminal (putty, winscp)
- wordpress – through appstore – posting mostly images on my blog
- mplayer – through cydia – version from november 2008 – can actually play TV over wifi network
- siphone – through cydia – SIP VoIP – can make phone calls over Wifi and actually it says that you can make phone calls even through your Edge/3G
- pdanet – through cydia – prior version allows you to connect your computer to internet (newer versions requires 30$ fee)
- evernote – share your knowledge everywhere 🙂
- GRIS – google reader RSS
- fring – skype/SIP posibility but only through Wifi
- vlc – to play any kind of media from iPhone
- Bible – with several concordances and posibility select diferrent translations (KJV, NBV, …) no czech translations
some source in czech
Everyone wants from time to time use their cell phones as modem to connect to the internet. You know those situations sitting in pub and there is some email comming you “have to” check it 🙂
AT&T lobbed Apple to not allow iPhone to be used as modem as it would shut their network. (This is not confirmed but it looks more then just opinion). So iPhone by default can’t be used as modem anyway it can connect to the internet.
There are situations where you have to be online with your notebook. So after short time there arrive applications like Netshare, iPhonemodem, … but they only allow to use proxy. So I was able to run only safari, but no skype, no VPN, no remote desktop, and other things. So this is no way for me.
this application will not only allows your web browsers to get on internet. This is not only proxy, but actually it works as router. That means all your application will work. I really mean ALL !!! I am now able to run Juno VPN, skype, jabber, SIP VoIP, firefox, RDP,… I have to say I didn’t find any app which would not work. And because PdaNet is router all app will work. 🙂
How hard it is to set it up?
Easy with few clicks.
How to install it?
- First jailbreak your iPhone
- Install Cydia
- Install PdaNet
How-to and steps by steps are described on theiphoneblog.com with screen shots.
After 4 hours I got my iPhone I started to jailbreak 😉
What is jailbreak and why do I need it ?
Your iPhone is “locked”. Apple is thinking that giving users freedom will actually destroy them. So less options you have more you are happy. I understand this as developer have to make software idiot-proof anyway I am not human who likes to be locked. So Jailbreak is exactly what it says = break jail = open the iPhone to have more control and can do more usefull things
What can you do with Jailbreak iPhone?
- install other 3rd party software not from Apps store
- openssh server – yes you can ssh your iPhone or ssh your computer when you are shoping 😉
- install software which didn’t get on Apps store
- play arround as Administrator – not only as user
- install applications/games which are not signed by Apple – if you are developing application/game and you want to test it on your phone you have to jailbreak your iPhone to be able to install it
- and other things
How to jailbreak?
To make it short here are steps what you have to do with links where it is presented step by step with screen shots
- download firmware from Apple
- downlad tool which will modify th firemware -QuickPwn
- modify the firmware
- get the iphone in recovery mode
- connect to the computer
- do last step from the QuickPWN program
- YOU ARE DONE 🙂
Here are links:
- jailbreak in MAC
- jailbreak in PC
- jailbreak in Linux – didn’t find any info, so not sure if it is possible