Last year I have written about installing new firmware on wrt54gl and installing openvpn on this tiny excelent router.
to install latest openwrt firmware follow this steps:
ssh as root to the device.
# cd /tmp
# wget http://downloads.x-wrt.org/xwrt/kamikaze/8.09.2/brcm-2.4/openvpn/openwrt-brcm-2.4-squashfs.trx
# mtd -r -e linux write openwrt-brcm-2.4-squashfs.trx linux
Please note that the image is not downloaded from openwrt but from x-wrt.org. x-wrt.org is project which cooperate with openwrt. The reason is that the firmware already includes openvpn package. My device has not enough memory and I always struggle with memory on this device.
- bootwait should be already on (if not, see my article from last year)
- telnet wrtbox and change password (allows ssh & web access)
- repair time on wrt
30 6 * * * /usr/sbin/rdate -s rdate.cpanel.net
you already have openvpn package (if not just install it). I had problems to use my old certificates and config, so I have also installed openvpn-easyrsa
- move to /etc/easy-rsa
- just call the opnvpn commands – little bit modified – I am following openvpn howto
- build-key-server server
- build-key client1
- build-dh – this one takes long time
Notice that it is missing at the begining “dot” and “slash” – which is standard way to do it on linux.
Next is standard openvpn steps
From MacOSx 10.5.3 (I guess) and up you can sync your google contacts with your iPhone.
Go to Address Book -> Preferences -> Accounts (tab) -> Synchronize with Google.
Synchronization will happened when you connect your iPhone to your mac and itunes starts backing up your iPhone. It will grab contacts and if there are some conflicts it will let you know.
BTW it works in both ways – now you can just modify your Address Book in mac and changes will occur in iPhone same as in gmail.
Access the command line by either opening Terminal remotely, or by logging into the computer from another via SSH.I have mac mini which is connected to LG Flatron M228WD using mini-display port to HDMI and I had big problem to make it run.
The problem is in resolution the mac mini is sending to the TV.
I have VNC on my mac mini so even I don’t see anything on TV I can connect remotly from another computer. When I open display preferencies I see that mac mini has discovered my LCD correctly.
In case mini doesn’t discover your tv/lcd correctly do this:
- shutdown mini
- connect mini with TV
- turn on TV
- turn on mini
- check in display preferences that you can see you tv model (in my case M228WD-BZ)
Next thing was trying to change resolutions, but nothing has helped.
I had to do this:
- boot mini in safe mode
- and change resolution
- restart mini to boot in normal mode
Boot in safe mode
To start up into Safe Mode (to Safe Boot), do this:
- Be sure the computer is shut down.
- Press the power button.
- Immediately after you hear the startup tone, hold the Shift key. The Shift key should be held as soon as possible after the startup tone but not before.
- Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple icon and the progress indicator (looks like a spinning gear).
- Access the command line by either opening Terminal remotely, or by logging into the computer from another via SSH.
- Execute the following command in Terminal or on the command line:
sudo nvram boot-args="-x"
(If you want to start in Verbose mode as well, use sudo nvram boot-args="-x -v" instead )
- After using Safe Boot, to return to a normal startup, execute this command in Terminal or the command line:
sudo nvram boot-args=""
in safe mode the display usually works. I have noticed that I need to make it first run and even the resolution is same as before now it works 🙂 First kick in safe mode helps 🙂
this live boot linux will help you to get any info you want 🙂 Hack/Crack wifi – change passwords,… and more and more.