Finally am testing wordpress on iPhone. Have to say that this is only for short updates as writing on iphone long story is suicide.
It is good to have but would no call it must have tool. That is right
Everyone wants from time to time use their cell phones as modem to connect to the internet. You know those situations sitting in pub and there is some email comming you “have to” check it 🙂
AT&T lobbed Apple to not allow iPhone to be used as modem as it would shut their network. (This is not confirmed but it looks more then just opinion). So iPhone by default can’t be used as modem anyway it can connect to the internet.
There are situations where you have to be online with your notebook. So after short time there arrive applications like Netshare, iPhonemodem, … but they only allow to use proxy. So I was able to run only safari, but no skype, no VPN, no remote desktop, and other things. So this is no way for me.
this application will not only allows your web browsers to get on internet. This is not only proxy, but actually it works as router. That means all your application will work. I really mean ALL !!! I am now able to run Juno VPN, skype, jabber, SIP VoIP, firefox, RDP,… I have to say I didn’t find any app which would not work. And because PdaNet is router all app will work. 🙂
How hard it is to set it up?
Easy with few clicks.
How to install it?
- First jailbreak your iPhone
- Install Cydia
- Install PdaNet
How-to and steps by steps are described on theiphoneblog.com with screen shots.
After 4 hours I got my iPhone I started to jailbreak 😉
What is jailbreak and why do I need it ?
Your iPhone is “locked”. Apple is thinking that giving users freedom will actually destroy them. So less options you have more you are happy. I understand this as developer have to make software idiot-proof anyway I am not human who likes to be locked. So Jailbreak is exactly what it says = break jail = open the iPhone to have more control and can do more usefull things
What can you do with Jailbreak iPhone?
- install other 3rd party software not from Apps store
- openssh server – yes you can ssh your iPhone or ssh your computer when you are shoping 😉
- install software which didn’t get on Apps store
- play arround as Administrator – not only as user
- install applications/games which are not signed by Apple – if you are developing application/game and you want to test it on your phone you have to jailbreak your iPhone to be able to install it
- and other things
How to jailbreak?
To make it short here are steps what you have to do with links where it is presented step by step with screen shots
- download firmware from Apple
- downlad tool which will modify th firemware -QuickPwn
- modify the firmware
- get the iphone in recovery mode
- connect to the computer
- do last step from the QuickPWN program
- YOU ARE DONE 🙂
Here are links:
- jailbreak in MAC
- jailbreak in PC
- jailbreak in Linux – didn’t find any info, so not sure if it is possible